Junior Surf Proudly sponsored by Kawan Collision Repair
- to learn the skills required to gain the surf lifeguard award
- to provide the best possible life saving experience for all juniors with the view to encouraging long-term active participation
- to provide opportunities for juniors to actively participate in and enjoy life saving and competition in an aquatic environment
- to ensure our junior members are safe on New Zealand’s beaches through building knowledge and experiences in the junior surf program
- to develop a team based philosophy encompassing leadership, camaraderie, teamwork, and fun
- to promote social, emotional and physical growth and development in a healthy and safe environment.
Waimārama Surf Life Saving Club runs a strong Junior Surf program. From the age of 7 to 14 years children can participate in Junior Surf at Waimārama. We encourage children to have fun and develop their skills, so they can enjoy the beach and one day might be able to save someone else too. It’s about developing tomorrow’s lifeguards and opening up a whole new world to children.
Open to children 7-14yrs
Children 6yrs and under they may join the club provided they have older siblings registered with the club
Beach activity (red caps) – this will depend on the availability of parents
There is no pool training for this age group
Online registration open from 15th October Register Here.
Club membership completed once fees have been paid. Individual $125, Family $250, Sports Fee $100 per oceans athlete
30th October and 6th November – 200 meter swim trial at the Clive Pool 5.30 -6.30pm – badges handed out on the night. You will need to bring togs, towel, goggles to this evening.
9.45am – 12.00pm 19th November 2023
Children are put into groups according to their ability ( See Cap Levels )
Children must be signed in and out of their groups
You will need: togs, towel, goggles, sunscreen, drink bottle, sun hat, wetsuit (recommended), warm clothes.
27th November (please check your email as this date may change)
For ages 7yrs and over
You will need: togs, towel, goggles, drink bottle
These form part of Junior Surf Program, and everyone is encouraged to participate
Dates for this season:
– 10th December at Westshore SLSC
– 21st January at Ocean Beach SLSC
– 3rd March at Waimārama SLSC
You will need: togs, towel, sunscreen, sun hat, warm clothes, drink bottle, food
Swim 200 metres under 7 minutes
Tread water for 1 minute
Total time allocation is 8 minutes
This is a mandatory safety requirement, children must have a 200m badge before using foam or fibre-glass paddle-boards
200m Safety Badge results are loaded into the PAM database
Junior Surf Member’s Responsibilities
Each child, as a member of Waimārama Surf Life Saving Club, has certain responsibilities:
- Attend training sessions on a regular basis, arriving by 9.50 am.
- Attend Junior carnivals, for your own enjoyment and in support of your team.
- Actively promote Waimārama Surf Life Saving Club with friends and others.
- Support all club fundraising activities
- Support your coach during your weekly training sessions.
- Compliment and support others on their achievements – be a team person
- Treat all club equipment with care. Follow instructions on carrying, handling and cleaning equipment – and make sure that all equipment taken out is washed down and put away in the correct way
- If equipment is damaged report it immediately to your coach.