Tremains Junior Surf
- to learn the skills required to gain the surf lifeguard award
- to provide the best possible life saving experience for all juniors with the view to encouraging long-term active participation
- to provide opportunities for juniors to actively participate in and enjoy life saving and competition in an aquatic environment
- to ensure our junior members are safe on New Zealand’s beaches through building knowledge and experiences in the junior surf program
- to develop a team based philosophy encompassing leadership, camaraderie, teamwork, and fun
- to promote social, emotional and physical growth and development in a healthy and safe environment.
Waimarama Surf Life Saving Club runs a strong Junior Surf program. From the age of 7 to 13 years children can participate in Junior Surf at Waimarama. We encourage children to have fun and develop their skills, so they can enjoy the beach and one day might be able to save someone else too. It’s about developing tomorrow’s lifeguards and opening up a whole new world to children.
- Open to children 7-13yrs
- Children 6yrs and under they may join the club provided they have older siblings registered with the club
- Beach activity (red caps) – this will depend on the availability of parents
- There is no pool training for this age group
- To be advised – around the October/November. You will need to bring togs, towel, goggles to this evening
- Fees – payable on the night, Individual $60.00, Family $150.00
- 9.45am-12.00pm; 10th November
- Children are put into groups according to their ability ( See Cap Levels )
- Children must be signed in and out of their groups
- You will need: togs, towel, goggles, sunscreen, drink bottle, sun hat, wetsuit (recommended), warm clothes.
- 6.00-7.00pm; 4th November
- For ages 7yrs and over
- You will need: togs, towel, goggles, drink bottle
- These form part of Junior Surf Program, and everyone is encouraged to participate
- 3rd December 2018 – Westshore Beach
- 13th January 2018 – Waimarama Beach
- 18th February 2018 – Ocean Beach
- There is no junior surf program on these dates
- You will need: togs, towel, sunscreen, sun hat, warm clothes, drink bottle, food
- Swim 200 metres under 7 minutes
- Tread water for 1 minute
- Total time allocation is 8 minutes
- This is a mandatory safety requirement, children must have a 200m badge before using foam or fibre-glass paddle-boards
- 200m Safety Badge results are loaded into the PAM database
Junior Surf Member’s Responsibilities
Each child, as a member of Waimarama Surf Life Saving Club, has certain responsibilities:
- Attend training sessions on a regular basis, arriving by 9.50 am.
- Attend Junior carnivals, for your own enjoyment and in support of your team.
- Actively promote Waimarama Surf Life Saving Club with friends and others.
- Support all club fundraising activities
- Support your coach during your weekly training sessions.
- Compliment and support others on their achievements – be a team person
- Treat all club equipment with care. Follow instructions on carrying, handling and cleaning equipment – and make sure that all equipment taken out is washed down and put away in the correct way
- If equipment is damaged report it immediately to your coach.